Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Enemy territory + Happy Hanukkah!

I actually ventured into one of those baby stores (Buy.Buy.Baby) this weekend. Yes, talk about enemy territory! Actually, it was a pleasant experience. Started a registry. Mostly went to get educated about infant car seats and strollers, and check out the cribs and co-sleepers. I asked for a personal shopper who walked me around the store. She was super helpful. While it was clearly enemy territory, maybe I'm experiencing Stockholm.Syndrome, because I started to feel affection and true affiliation with my kidnappers (the non-IF population and those who cater to them).

 
My mother-in-law is here from Boston and we are taking her to a party tonight for the first night of Hanukkah. I made apple sauce the last two nights. Why two nights? Because I didn't feel I made enough the first time, and in typical obsessive fashion, had to make another batch for a total of 8 lbs of apples! I saved some for us for other nights. The apple sauce came out nice. I love just chopping  up apples (seeds, core, and all), and having them bubble on the stove. I recently bought a food mill, which quickly did the job. I hope to be using the food mill soon to make baby food with (we'll see how long that lasts).
 
~Jem

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Happy Hanukkah to you, too! And, congrats on "crossing over to the darkside."

Poppet said...

Happy Hanukkah! Enjoy a latka for me. Our closest Jewish friends moved last year, and I can't go around asking "um, have any to spare" from my other Jewish friends... and I haven't dared make them myself.

Before you buy anything, check out IKEA! Seriously - don't spend a fortune on baby furniture. Get cheap furniture and put the $1000s towards college savings! No joke.

:-)