Tuesday, July 20, 2010

IVF in the news

It's crazy how much IVF is in the news these days, and it's not just celebrities having twins (yes, you, Cel.ine!).

This article is about IVF Associated With Increased Risk for Childhood Cancer - luckily the risk is low.

This article claims there is a way to predict the success of IVF... Really? Sounds too good to be true...

This one is not directly related to IF, but a super-fertile woman with uterus didelphys (she has two uteruses) who is pregnant with two babies conceived and due at different times.

Amazing what Goo.gle News can dig up in an afternoon...

Thursday is our WTF appointment with Dr. W. Any suggestions on questions to ask? I'm so emotionally tired of all this IF BS that my mind is blank... other than, "What went wrong? What are our options? Donor sperm? Donor eggs? Are there additional tests we should run?"

Ideas, oh wise bloggers?

~Jem

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had suggestions on what to ask, but I think you have a good starter list. I really hope your doc can provide you with some answers. You deserve them. And I agree--infertility has been in the news a lot lately

Good luck on Thursday. I'll be thinking of you! Let us know how it goes.

Jo said...

Hmmm...the "test" sounds a lot like the individual factors that get considered during ANY IVF cycle. You are right, though, IVF seems to be EVERYWHERE these days. In a way that's great, because the more educated people become, the better. However, I'm tired of people thinking that it's as simple as doing IVF to have a baby. Unfortunately, it's not an answer for everyone.

Hugs,
Jo

(ICLW #23)

Pie said...

Good luck at your WTF. Questions I asked at the WTFs I had were: what would he change with the protocol if we did this again, and why; genetic testing options, both on parents on on embies; seeking second opinions, who would he recommend; what is his estimate of success moving forward?

And that woman with 2 utes...sigh. All I can do is shake my head. Life is not fair.

~stinkb0mb~ said...

I'm hoping your Dr can provide you with some answers - keeping everything crossed.

ICLW
#41 http://themissruby.blogspot.com/