Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Trigger day (I think)


I had my last u/s this morning - sans Mr. Jem - and the lady said I look ready to trigger.

Ovary report:
Right: 16 follicles ranging from 12 to 21 mm
Left: 14 follicles from 11 to 24 (!) mm

I'm very, very full and feel ready to pop!

My E2 was 3887 yesterday, so I cry at the littlest thing.

Waiting for a call from my IVF coordinator to give us the official go-ahead to trigger tonight. If it's a go, then we'll do retrieval on Thursday.

****

On Mr. Jem's side, he's schedule to give a sample tomorrow, our last chance to get a dozen or so decent (not good, just alive!!) sperm the "fun" way.

Plan B is to to have a urologist lined up to go in surgically to get sperm on the day of retrieval.

Plan C (Z, really) is using the donor sperm we ordered yesterday. Wow, it was surreal to be going online and checking out donor profiles. Close to $900 (gasp!) and 24 hours later we have our very own vial of donor sperm waiting for us at the clinic. I hope we don't have to use them.

Last night Mr. Jem and I both had acupuncture. Dr. Needles didn't hold back with Mr. Jem's treatment. The funny thing was that Dr. Needles put needles on Mr. Jem's nostrils. According to Chinese medicine the nose represents the pe.nis and the nostrils are the scro.tum. I kid you not. I couldn't make that up.

Mr. Jem is a total trooper!

All hinges on tomorrow's donation. Please send your positive thoughts our way. We need any help we can get!

Anyone else been in this 11th hour situation? Waiting for sperm?

15 comments:

Pie said...

Yay, your follies sound great! I'm really hoping the nostril-puncture does the trick for the hubby. I'm sorry - but every time I read about the surgical removal of sperm, I just shudder. For all I've been thru, that still sounds awful. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed you get a great "fun" sample tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's wacky about the acupuncture points. It obviously didn't come up when I was doing treatments, but I find that very interesting!

Happy trigger day :), and good luck tomorrow!

Circus Princess said...

I laughed out loud reading about Mr. Jem with needles in his nose!! Great news on your follies galore and I'm happy to hear about all your plans A,B and Z. Hoping for the best and that plan A is a go after that acupuncture session :-)

Kelly said...

I hope you don't mind, but I'm linking this post on my blog because it's hilarious!

Fertility Chick said...

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way from here! Our situation with MFI is a bit different - but we are waiting on results to see if IVF/ICSI with my husband's sperm is even a possibility. So I feel for the 11th hour situation completely!!

Wishing you lots of luck and all the best!!

Poppet said...

$900 for sperm???

Isn't it cheaper to hire a male hooker?

(I am sure that Mr. Jem doesn't like that idea either, but we all have to take one for the team sometimes.... think of it as a medical procedure with a little somethin'-somethin'!).

Kidding, of course!

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you today and tomorrow! I hope it all works out!!!

Jill said...

I wish you the best of luck with retrieval and fertilization. Even though it will have sucked to "waste" $900, I really hope you can get to Mr. Jem's sperm! Good luck!

jenicini said...

Go nose needles! I'm hoping all goes well and that the $900 sperm is not needed!

Jem said...

Poppet: I have no idea the cost of a male hooker, but you have a valid point. It might be more fun for me, too.

Kidding, of course!

SecretSisterhood: Post away! I'm flattered.

Anonymous said...

Jem - How exciting! I hope that everything is on track and you have your retrieval on Thursday. Those numbers sound good!!!!!

P.S. We weren't in your exact situation as DH had to have his TESA same day as trigger during IVF#1, but have you considered doing half Mr. Jem, half donor sperm on your eggs?

irrationalexuberance said...

It sounds like things are moving along nicely, and it's really great that DH is such a trooper. My boy would have to be drugged and dragged to the acupuncturist before he let a needle near him, let alone his face, or well his testicles.
Think of the $900 as insurance. Like any other type of insurance, it's a big waste of $ until you need it!
Good luck heading into ER!!

Jem said...

babyattheend: half and half? That's possible? We were planning on doing IVF with ICSI with Mr. Jem's sperm as he had low sperm count and motility.

We're playing it by ear, but if we do get some sperm from Mr. Jem, naturally or via biopsy, I'll ask the Dr.

Brandy said...

I haven't been in that situation so I have no advice, but I hate that you guys are in that situation. It makes me grateful for the < 1 million sperm that we have. You've got way more follicles than me though! I only have seven total. It's always something isn't it? Fingers crossed that everything work out!!!

www.brandysheaif.blogspot.com

Kim said...

that's a ton of follicles....you go girl!!!! hope you are triggering and things go well for mr. jem. cant wait to hear about all those eggs youre going to get a retrieval!